For decades the vertical blind was almost exclusively used in office buildings, but as our tastes in home décor steadily became more diverse, various styles of vertical blinds were released to the market.
Whether you are remodeling a new home or just sprucing up a particular room, your choice of window coverings ranges from simple curtains to futuristic, programmable glass, and everything in between.
A lot of us shy away from choosing vertical blinds due to being worried that the installation process will be overly complicated and time-consuming. Installing vertical blinds properly is not as difficult as you may think, and with this guide, we aim to make the process even simpler.
Tools you need
- Tape measure;
- Electric drill + bits;
- A helper;
- Ladders / stepladders.
- Inside mount – Blinds which are mounted inside the window frame.
- Outside mount – Blinds which are mounted outside the window frame.
- Valance – An L-shaped component which covers the headrail.
Regardless of which type of vertical blinds you would like, inside or outside mount, the first thing you should do is measure the window so that you know the size of blinds you need to buy.
To ensure that the blinds fit correctly, you must first measure from below the window at the point where you would like the blinds to hang. From that point, measure the height to the place where the headrail will be installed.
How to install vertical blinds – inside mount.
- Lay the valance on a flat surface and place the brackets on it 7.6cm (3 inches) from each end.
- Using a pencil, mark the screw holes for each bracket.
- Drill the screw holes, if possible use a drill bit which is smaller than the screws.
- Mark the position of the brackets with your pencil on the window frame. The brackets should be 7.6cm (3 inches) away from the outside edge and 2,5cm (1 inch) away from the glass.
- Hold the bracket in position, place a screw in the hole and tap it with a hammer. Repeat this until you have marked the positions of all four screws.
- Have your helper hold the valance in place, make sure that the pre-drilled holes match up with the pre-marked areas.
- Attach the first bracket and repeat for the second.
- Attach the headrail, the majority of blinds have a headrail which simply snaps into place. Refer to the product instructions for the correct installation procedure.
- Attach the vanes. If you are unsure on how to do this there will be a separate section below explaining the process.
How to install vertical blinds – outside mount
- Locate where the headrail will be installed, choose a place at the bottom of the window, preferably the centre, and measure from where you want the blinds to stop to the top of the window and mark it with your pencil.
- Position the headrail directly on top of the pencil mark and have your helper hold it in place.
- Measure 10cm (4 inches) from the edge of the window and make a pencil mark above the headrail, repeat on the other side.
- Remove the headrail and attach the brackets to the wall, for extra stability pre-drill the holes and insert wall anchors for the screws.
- Attach the headrail.
- Attach the vanes.
- Install the valance if your blinds came with one.
How to attach vertical blind vanes?
[su_list icon=”icon: wrench” icon_color=”#FFD300″]
- Get the right spacing, pull the cord until all of the vanes clips are an equal distance from one another.
- Turn the vane clips so that the slit is facing towards you.
- Attach the vanes. At one end of each vane, there is a hole, push that end into the vane slit until the hole is caught by the hook inside the clip.
- Repeat this for the rest of the vanes.
How to maintain your vertical blinds?
After the installation, add cleaning the blinds to your list of weekly chores to make upkeep easier, this will also reduce the need for a thorough washing.
Using the brush attachment, vacuum the blinds starting from the top and work your way down. Washing vertical blinds can be a little bit tricky as most types cannot be machine washed and removing each vane can be a bother. For a simple yet effective cleaning method see below.
You will need:
- One bucket of warm, soapy water;
- One bucket of clean, cold water;
- Old towels or a tarp;
- A blind cleaning tool.
How to make your own tools?
- Get a pair of barbecue tongs and one sponge.
- Cut the sponge in half.
- Glue each half sponge to the ends of the tongs with waterproof glue.
- Allow the glue to dry overnight.
How to clean the blinds?
- Place the old towels, or tarp, beneath the blinds to protect the floor from drips.
- Dip the tongs in the warm, soapy water until the sponges are saturated.
- Starting from the top, place the vane between the tongs so that there is a sponge on each side.
- Press the tongs together and wipe down towards the bottom of the vane.
- Rinse the sponges in the clean water.
- Repeat until each vane is clean.
- Remove any excess water by gently patting the vanes with a towel.
- Allow them to air dry.
So there we have it, your guide on how to install vertical blinds properly. With a little bit of preparation, a helper, and this guide you’ll have your new blinds installed in no time. In case you’re experiencing difficulties, book our blinds and curtains fittings service or a professional decorator to help you with any other home improvements you have.